Purpose: See if we really love God and how to better love God.
II. The lawyer in this passage asked this question in order to try and trap Jesus.
III. However, Jesus did not give him the satisfaction.
IV. The Old Testament was a law of works.
A. Jesus was telling these men that love was the greatest commandment.
B. This tells us that love should be our motivating factor for serving God.
V. We must ask ourselves if we really love God because this is our greatest commandment today.
VI. We will discuss three points today:
A. Why I love God.
B. What does it mean to love God.
C. How can I better love God.
A. Because he first loved me (1 John 4:19; John 3:16).
B. Because God loves even those who don't love him (1 John 2:2).
1. We are also commanded to love even those who don't love us (Matthew 5:43-48).
a. This is something that is not easy for us to do.
b. It is easy to love someone who loves us also.
2. This does not mean that we are to love their actions; we can love the soul but hate the sin.
C. Because God demonstrates his love for us.
1. Romans 5:8.
2. 1 John 4:10.
1. These people realized that Paul's God was different.
2. God is the only constant in a world that is always changing.
F. We love God because he is on our side.
1. 2 Peter 3:9.
2. 1 Timothy 2:4.
3. Romans 8:3.
A. If we love God we will keep his commandments (John 14:15).
1. We won't try to make up laws of our own that we like (Matthew 15:9).
2. We won't mind keeping his commandments (1 John 5:3).
B. If we love God we will not love the world (1 John 2:15-17).
1. A lot of times people fall because they love the world more than God.
2. Nothing in this world should stop us from striving to please God.
3. We must love him more than family (Matthew 10:37).
C. If we love God, we will love in deed and not only in word.
1. It is not enough just to pay lip service (Matthew 15:7-8).
2. 1 John 3:18.
3. I could tell my wife that I love her but if I don't show it she would not believe me.
A. Get to know him better through his word (1 Peter 1:8).
1. This increases our faith in him (Romans 10:17).
2. What is faith (Hebrews 11:1).
3. As Christians we walk by faith (2 Corinthians 4:18).
B. Put his word into practice.
1. Be doers of the word (James 1:22).
2. By being doers we will see the good that the word can do (James 1:25).
3. The word can save our soul (James 1:21).
C. Be mindful of our blessings.
1. Remember that God will work everything out for the best (Romans 8:28).
2. Count Your Blessings : When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed...
3. The blessing of heaven (James 1:12).
II. Do you:
A. Love him for the right reasons?
B. Put that love into practice?
C. Strive to grow in your love for him?
III. Only those who love God will make it to heaven.
IV. If you've never obeyed the gospel, you either don't love God or aren't demonstrating it.
V. Offer invitation. Please see Plan of Salvation.
-- Ralph Price, February 2000 --