2. However, in almost all cases, they don't practice what they preach.
3. A disciple is one who follows the teaching of another.
4. There are certain qualities that a true disciple of the Lord must possess.
5. The only way to be truly pleasing to him is to be in possession of them.
6. Let us look at Matthew 16:24-26.
A. God desires ALL men to follow him (1 Timothy 2:4).
1. The doctrine of Unconditional Election is false.
2. 2 Peter 3:9.
B. Jesus gave the invitation to all who were weary and heavy laden.
1. Matthew 11:28-30.
2. Whether a person realizes it or not; if he is living in sin, he is weary and heavy laden.
C. Jesus invites us today through his gospel (2 Thessalonians 2:14).
1. The eunuch was converted after he heard the word preached (Acts 8:35).
2. Cornelius was converted after hearing the word (Acts 11:14).
3. Lydia (Acts 16:14).
4. The Philippian Jailer (Acts 16:25-34).
A. "Let him deny himself." Also in Matthew 16:25.
1. This is not talking about being materialistic or selfish.
2. This is talking about not loving ourselves supremely.
3. This is talking about humility.
4. Great examples for us to follow.
a. Moses (Hebrews 11:23-24).
b. Paul (Philippians 3:4-8).
c. Jesus (Philippians 2:5-8).
5. Great non-examples.
b. Ananias and Sapphira.
B. "Take up his cross..."
1. Not talking simply about everyday trials. Everyone endures these.
2. He is talking about being willing to endure hardships for HIM. These are voluntary trials.
3. The earliest Christians faced these trials willingly.
4. Today the trials we face are for our stand for the truth (Galatians 4:16).
a. The gospel makes some people angry.
b. We may be ridiculed (1 Peter 4:3-4). Called "Bible Thumpers."
c. We may face family rejection (Matthew 10:36).
A. We must look to God and none else.
1. Jeremiah 10:23.
2. Matthew 7:21.
3. Colossians 3:17.
B. We can and must not look to:
A. Our souls are worth more than the whole world.
B. If you are a good disciple, you will be rewarded according to your works.
2. John 12:48.
2. Give Plan of Salvation.
-- Ralph Price, February 2000 --