A. God anointed Jesus in Isaiah 61:1-3
1. to preach good tidings (gospel) to the poor
2. to heal the brokenhearted
3. God ordained Jesus to preach deliverance to the captives.
4. God delivered Jesus to us to set open the prison doors to them that are bound
B. In our ever-increasing religion-less and God-less society, so reason with themselves that they can get to heaven without Jesus, by just being a morally good person. Jesus refutes this!
1. Jesus says, "... I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." - John 14:6
2. Jesus also says, "... for without me ye can do nothing." - John 15:5-6
3. You and I must abide with Jesus. We need to be grateful that God gave us His Son, Jesus, to deliver us from the darkness of death to the light and life of Jesus in whom we have forgiveness of sins through his blood - Colossians 1:12-14
C. Definition of Deliver:
1. Save by rescuing from evil or danger
2. Release, to set free, to rescue and preserve from eminent danger or death
D. Have you have ever found yourself in the “claws” of disparity?
1. There was danger all around you
2. Perhaps a medical crisis, or accident
3. All you could think of was getting help or calling 911 because danger or death was imminent?
E. There’s a greater danger we face, that our world is becoming more blind to, it’s spiritual death:
1. Separation from God
2. The everlasting punishment for our sins, where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched in hell according to Mark 9:43-48
F. This is why you need to obey Jesus to be saved. Let us learn how Jesus has delivered us from death to life
A. According to the law in order to have atonement for your soul there must be the shedding of blood of a fleshly sacrifice – Leviticus 17:11
1. In Hebrews 9:22, the Word of God declares that without the shedding of blood is no remission.
2. The blood of bulls and goats were not able to take away sins – Hebrews 10:4
3. The only sacrifice that will take away our sins is the offering of Jesus body – Hebrews 10:10-14
1. He overcame the temptations of Satan - Matthew 4:3-4
2. Jesus was the only human sacrifice without blemish or without sin that could take away our sins – Hebrews 4:15
3. The Bible teaches Jesus knew no sin that we might be made the righteousness through Him - II Corinthians 5:21
C. Jesus delivered us from death to life
1. He was willing to give His life for the sheep - John 10:10-11
2. Jesus laid His life down for the sheep - John 10:18
3. He endured the pains of the cross that we might live – Luke 23:46
A. God raised Jesus to life from the grave
B. Jesus ascended to heaven to be at the right hand of God
C. The Bible teaches in Psalm 68:18-19, Jesus led captivity captive
1. Jesus led away, the enemy which captured us (sin, death and Satan)
2. Jesus has subdued, and overcome, through His death, burial, and resurrection
3. This is why we can sing the song Victory in Jesus – I Corinthians 15:54-57
1. This will occur at His second coming, which will be the great Day of Judgment (Resurrection day)
A. Jesus has delivered us from death to life.
B. The question you must answer for yourself is will you be ready when He comes – Matthew 11:28-30
C. Why not be delivered from your sins today and obey the gospel of Jesus Christ?
-- Harry D. Anderson, Jr., March 2009 --